George Jones, Lawn Mowers, And Life In A Country Town

Re: George Jones, Lawn Mowers, And Life In A Country Town

Postby DONNIEP » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:44 am

Dear tiny Baby Jesus, little 8 pound six ounce baby, don't even know a word yet but still omnipotent, wrapped in your golden fleece diapers...thank You for guiding my hand while I worked on this lawn mower that was built in the very pits of Hell by the Devil himself. MTDs are Devilly!! And thanks to The Possum for puttin' in a good word for me before I finished up the job. George, I'll open a beer later and ride around the yard sucking it down and thinking of you.
DONNIEP
Chairman of the Board

Postby Little Texan » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:44 pm

DONNIEP wrote:Dear tiny Baby Jesus, little 8 pound six ounce baby, don't even know a word yet but still omnipotent, wrapped in your golden fleece diapers...thank You for guiding my hand while I worked on this lawn mower that was built in the very pits of Hell by the Devil himself. MTDs are Devilly!! And thanks to The Possum for puttin' in a good word for me before I finished up the job. George, I'll open a beer later and ride around the yard sucking it down and thinking of you.

No doubt MTDs are a product of Satan! The one I had there wasn't a cover where the gear selector is because there was no gear selector...it was hydrostatic drive. Everything was accessed from the rear of the lawn mower. I can't remember exactly how I did it, all I know is it was the biggest pain in the ass job I've ever done, and lots of cuss words were shouted out loud enough for the whole neighborhood to hear before I was finished.
Little Texan
Headliner

Postby DONNIEP » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:10 pm

Oh yeah, I know which one you're talking about. The shifter I was talking about was the forward/rear selector that's between my legs. I really did need to take the deck loose anyway cause I had bent my two main hangers a while back and needed to get them right, back 100% straight. So it wasn't a total waste of time.

But the sumbitch cuts great again, goes forward and backwards like it should, lol. I had to tear down the carb last month. The motor in it was rebuilt just two seasons ago so I have to keep the mower working for at least 37 more years.
DONNIEP
Chairman of the Board

Postby Mr. Fantastic » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:33 pm

I had a MTD roto tiller. I didnt think it was built very well. The handles actually broke off and the sheet metal above the tines would always bend because it was such thin gauge. I just have a Honda professional grade push mower. Built like a tank. It will outlast me. I had a neighbor who bought a John Deer lawn tractor. He asked if he could mow our lawn and I said sure. He did that for a few years for free just because he liked to mow grass.

Most our lot is trees and wild flowers. In the spring and early summer it's all wild flowers. It looks great and is low maintenance. The only grass we have is in the backyard and on the side of the house.
Mr. Fantastic
Headliner

Postby Little Texan » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:32 pm

Mr. Fantastic wrote:I had a MTD roto tiller. I didnt think it was built very well. The handles actually broke off and the sheet metal above the tines would always bend because it was such thin gauge. I just have a Honda professional grade push mower. Built like a tank. It will outlast me. I had a neighbor who bought a John Deer lawn tractor. He asked if he could mow our lawn and I said sure. He did that for a few years for free just because he liked to mow grass.

Most our lot is trees and wild flowers. In the spring and early summer it's all wild flowers. It looks great and is low maintenance. The only grass we have is in the backyard and on the side of the house.

You can't go wrong with a Honda small engine. We have them on our concrete troweling machines and they crank first pull every time and are reliable for years. I can't say the same for Briggs and Stratton....never had anything but problems with those. Briggs is better than Tejunkseh but still junk, IMO.
Little Texan
Headliner

Postby DONNIEP » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:54 pm

I know this sounds like Old Man Talk, but things just aren't built to last these days. Nowadays everybody expects to own the best of everything and pay the least for it. I blame Lowes and Home Depot for a lot of it. And Walmart too. I don't buy large appliances or yard equipment at either of those places. Or ANY small DIY stuff there either. I shop at my locally owned Ace Hardware and Lowes and Home Depot can suck it for all I care. The funny thing is, I usually pay less at the local Ace than I would at Lowes and HD. I know this because I go online and check their prices for my local stores. I had to swap out the garbage disposal last month. Bought the exact same one at Ace for 20 bucks cheaper than Lowes. Of course, Lowes has to keep their prices up so they can pay that fag JJ to drive his car.
DONNIEP
Chairman of the Board

Postby Johann Shmidt » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:49 pm

Locally owned hardware or builder's supply stores are a thing of the past here for the most part. Just like Walmart, Home Depot and Lowes buy such a large amount of stuff from companies they can usually afford to sell it for much less than a one owner hardware store or stores from a small chain can sell it for. My brother used to hate Autozone for some reason. He would claim OReilly's was cheaper and buy all his auto parts there but he was full of shit. He changed his tune after him and his wife both got jobs there last year. He was hired as an assistant manager but ended up taking over the store after a couple months when the regional manager fired his boss for hiring one of his friends who was a total dickhead. After they both got fired the regional manager hired my brother's wife to work for him as a driver. I asked her if she quit smoking long enough to pass a pee pee test and she told me Autozone doesn't test you unless you have an accident or you start missing a bunch of time without a reasonable excuse. I reapplied at Autozone as soon as I hung up the phone.
Johann Shmidt
Headliner

Postby Mr. Fantastic » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:28 am

Little Texan wrote:
Mr. Fantastic wrote:I had a MTD roto tiller. I didnt think it was built very well. The handles actually broke off and the sheet metal above the tines would always bend because it was such thin gauge. I just have a Honda professional grade push mower. Built like a tank. It will outlast me. I had a neighbor who bought a John Deer lawn tractor. He asked if he could mow our lawn and I said sure. He did that for a few years for free just because he liked to mow grass.

You can't go wrong with a Honda small engine. We have them on our concrete troweling machines and they crank first pull every time and are reliable for years. I can't say the same for Briggs and Stratton....never had anything but problems with those. Briggs is better than Tejunkseh but still junk, IMO.

The roto tiller had a Tejunkseh motor on it. I had a snow blower with a Tejunkseh and it just leaked oil like crazy. Honda engines are just built to a higher standard. The one on my mower even has a real oil pump in it.
Mr. Fantastic
Headliner

Postby Mr. Fantastic » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:37 am

Johann Shmidt wrote:Locally owned hardware or builder's supply stores are a thing of the past here for the most part. Just like Walmart, Home Depot and Lowes buy such a large amount of stuff from companies they can usually afford to sell it for much less than a one owner hardware store or stores from a small chain can sell it for. My brother used to hate Autozone for some reason. He would claim OReilly's was cheaper and buy all his auto parts there but he was full of shit. He changed his tune after him and his wife both got jobs there last year. He was hired as an assistant manager but ended up taking over the store after a couple months when the regional manager fired his boss for hiring one of his friends who was a total dickhead. After they both got fired the regional manager hired my brother's wife to work for him as a driver. I asked her if she quit smoking long enough to pass a pee pee test and she told me Autozone doesn't test you unless you have an accident or you start missing a bunch of time without a reasonable excuse. I reapplied at Autozone as soon as I hung up the phone.

O'Reiley's sells USA made exhaust components and Autozone sells Chinese made components. I was doing some exhaust work and found O'Riley's had better quality pipe and fittings. I got a decent rebuilt starter for the bug at Autozone. I've had good luck with their rebuilt parts. I just found O'Rileys is good for some things and Autozone is good for others. If I mailorder parts from Autozone they get here pretty quick. I ordered from Napa on a part and it took forever to get it.
Mr. Fantastic
Headliner

Postby Johann Shmidt » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:54 am

Mr. Fantastic wrote:O'Reiley's sells USA made exhaust components and Autozone sells Chinese made components.

Almost all the auto parts sold at both stores are made by American owned companies that outsource to Asia. But O'Reillys does sell Gibson exhaust products which are actually made here. At least that's what their website says. The point I was making was Autozone can sell parts cheaper than O"Reilly's because they're a larger chain. You can buy better parts at other auto parts stores but you won't find too many with cheaper parts than Autozone unless you buy them on line from one of those discount auto parts distributors that don't have stores. Unless they ship for free a lot of the discount goes out the window for shipping and handling charges.
Johann Shmidt
Headliner

PreviousNext

Return to Great Food & Drinks