Bond's New Vodka

Bond's New Vodka

Postby DONNIEP » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:11 pm

Ok, so I'm one of the biggest Bond fans around. And Bond has a new vodka - Belvedere. Now, I lifted (ok stole) the article below straight from commanderbond.net. I'll post a link to the site - and you guys should all check it out.

http://commanderbond.net/18399/belvedere-vodka-the-launch.html

As we’ve learned over the past couple of days, there’s a new ingredient in Bond’s Vesper Martini: Polish vodka.

It’s good news all round as luxury, rye-based Belvedere replaces bargain bucket Smirnoff in 007’s signature drink. This week, a rainy Covent Garden heralded the start of the new partnership between luxury powerhouse LVMH and Eon Productions. The Bond in Motion exhibition looked suitably chic; bedecked in lit “silver sabre” magnums of the spirit, the Martinis were shaken or stirred to your preference and the music pumped out to the suited & booted/befrocked of London. Tinie Tempah was on the decks, but he seemed normal sized and in fine fettle.

CommanderBond.net, however, first learned of the change not in an underground bunker filled with 007’s rides (vehicular, mind), but in a very exclusive members’ club down a very anonymous street the day previous; a low key setting with an intrinsic link to the Bond universe. We can’t say more than that – as it was all very hush-hush – but suffice it to say it was the perfect surrounding in which to learn a bit more about Bond’s new tipple.

A select few of us were ushered in to the private bar to meet Belvedere boffin and in-house mixologist Claire Smith (@belvedereclaire) who taught us all about the subtle variations and myriad options available when ordering a Martini; we were introduced us to their “reversed Vesper” in which the measures of gin to vodka are switched to create a smoother, vodka-centric drink; and after we had our fill, we sat down with Charles Gibb (@presbelve), the softly spoken President of Belvedere, who described the partnership as “the largest [they] have ever undertaken.” Mr Gibb went on to outline extensive plans that include worldwide advertising and public relations campaigns, a large social media presence, various promotions and events in bars, nightclubs and stores & the unveiling of two limited edition bottles.

You’ve probably read all about them by now, but let’s re-iterate anyway: the first has a very limited run of 100, it features the SIS headquarters in place of the Belweder Palace and features green detailing in place of the usual blue – in homage to Captain Sir George Mansfield Smith Cumming’s choice of green ink when initialling documents with his initial “C” (and quite frankly, with that compendium of names, who can blame him using only one letter?). The second edition is the 007 “Silver Sabre”, an LED-luminated silver bottle with laser-etched Bondian details. It does look rather sexy in low light (we can say from first hand experience).

Bartenders & cocktail purists around the world will agree that the newest ingredient in the Vesper Martini is certainly a step up from what has gone before and should prove a much welcomed boost to Belvedere’s profile worldwide. Mr Gibb, going into greater detail about the newly minted relationship with 007 said “it’s all about synergies when you’re looking at any partnership: Bond is a man of taste, a man of distinction, of style and substance and we’re a vodka of authenticity, of heritage. We like to say we’re a vodka for those who know the difference.”

Amen, Mr Gibb – mine’s a reversed Vesper
DONNIEP
Chairman of the Board

Re: Bond's New Vodka

Postby Johann Shmidt » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:06 am

Very interesting. Not a big Bond fan myself but I've always admired the coolness of the character. Can't say I've ever watched a Bond movie from beginning to end but it's possible I have.
Can't say I've ever had a martini of any kind. I've drank very little gin. Took a small swig out of a bottle of Gilbey's once and spit it out. Tasted like perfume. I have drank a bit of vodka. I usually stick with the screwdriver but I've drank a few white russians too. Since I've never been a straight vodka drinker I've always assumed most brands of vodka taste pretty much the same.
Johann Shmidt
Headliner

Postby Mr. Fantastic » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:08 am

Vodka made from Idaho potatoes and Teton glacier water is the rage here. Horseradish vodka is popular at the moment.

http://www.tetondistillery.com

In the early 1800's, our shapely mountains reminded French trappers of a woman's anatomy. They called them "Les Trois Tetons" French slang for "the three tits". The highest peak is the Grand Teton. Our distillery sits in the shadow of the Tetons surrounded by thousands of acres of famous Idaho potatoes. Our spirit is distilled the equivalent of 20 times, proofed with pure mountain water, and polished with charcoal and garnet crystal. The Gold Medal winning result, called "exceptional" by testers, is amazingly flavorful, yet smooth with not even a hint of burn.
Mr. Fantastic
Headliner

Postby Funkmonkey » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:24 am

Vodka gives me monster headaches. Unless I haven't had the real stuff....
Brass Monkey. That funky monkey! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=drjGn_JpTOk
Funkmonkey
Pit Boss

Postby Mr. Fantastic » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:57 am

Supposedly high grade vodka is supposed to eliminate many of the ill effects of alcoholic beverages because it doesn't have the sugars, oils, and various trace elements. I pretty much grew up drinking Stolichnaya. We would go up the ski hill stick a bottle in the snow off in the trees, stop by and have a few belts. Always got good and drunk for the last run and bomb the ski hill as fast as we could.
Mr. Fantastic
Headliner

Postby Johann Shmidt » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:27 am

The word vodka basically means grain wine dilluted with water. That explains why it tastes like rubbing alcohol to me. The basic difference between rubbing alcohol and vodka is chemicals are added to make it undrinkable.
Johann Shmidt
Headliner

Postby Funkmonkey » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:45 pm

Has anyone tested to see if you can tell the difference between a martini that has been shaken verses one that has been stirred?
Brass Monkey. That funky monkey! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=drjGn_JpTOk
Funkmonkey
Pit Boss

Return to Great Food & Drinks