Retro Lounge Guide To Cocktails, Beers And Liquors

Retro Lounge Guide To Cocktails, Beers And Liquors

Postby DONNIEP » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:36 pm

Who doesn't enjoy a good cocktail? Or beer? Or just a good glass of scotch? Well, mix up or open up your favorite and let's talk booze.
DONNIEP
Chairman of the Board

Re: Retro Lounge Guide To Cocktails, Beers And Liquors

Ok, I figure this is a good place for everyone to post their favorite cocktails and recipes. Post them the way YOU make 'em, because we all know they're way better than the stuff on the interwebz anyways. Of course, if you've never made one of your favorites, just find the recipe that's about as close as you can remember it tasting before the room started spinning.

Let's start out with an old favorite of mine - The Black Velvet. This is a good late afternoon drink or mid morning brunch drink. And it just doesn't get any simpler. Half a glass of Guinness Extra Stout and half a glass of chilled champagne. That's it. Simple, huh? Give it a try - you can thank me later.
DONNIEP
Chairman of the Board

Next up, The Red Eye:

First you're gonna need the ingredients:

Gin
V8 Tomato Juice
Pickle Brine - Yes, the stuff in the pickle jar will work just fine.
Lime Juice - Just squeeze it into a cup the night before, while you're dancing around the kitchen and wondering why everyone isn't having as much fun as you.
One can of your favorite Mexican beer - Yes, it has to be Mexican. And none of these sissy new Budweiser "mexican" beers. No Corona either. Modello, Dos Equis, you get the idea.

So here's what you do: When you finally wake up, you get a big cup and pour in a couple shots of gin, a half a can of V8, dump in the lime juice, pour in some pickle juice, and then dump in a whole can of Mexican beer. You don't have to shake it - just hold it in your hands and it should get plenty shaken. Take it over to the couch, turn on the TV to the race and knock it back.

You'll be surprised how good a proper Red Eye can taste on a Sunday afternoon.
DONNIEP
Chairman of the Board

Postby DONNIEP » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:37 pm

Ok, Daiquiris. Now, we aren't using mixers for these because they're too damn sweet and taste, well, awful. This is pretty simple:

4 ounces of white rum
2 ounces of key lime juice
1/2 ounce of simple syrup
pour over ice in a cocktail mixer, shake and pour

Now, I know some of you are gonna say can I use the key lime juice I found at the Walmart? Sure, knock yourself out. But...why not do this the right way? Say, if you wanna show off for some friends or better yet that new lady you've got your eye on.

First off, the limes you'll find in the grocery section at the Walmart most likely are regular old Persian limes. You want key limes. But screw that, we're going for maximum coolness here. So buy several regular green limes and the same number of lemons. So when you get ready to mix up the daiquiris, slice some limes in half and some lemons in half. Squeeze both (please, don't use your hands in front of the guests. What are you, poor?) and combine the juice. There's your key lime juice. Feel free to tell the lie that you couldn't find any key limes so you're having to improvise. Be sure and toss in there that regular limes aren't quite tart enough. Nobody will know that you have no idea what you're talking about.

One last thing: you probably don't have a bottle of simple syrup in your fridge, right? Well, how's about you make some up before you have guests over? All you gotta do is mix two cups of sugar and one cup of water in a little pot and bring it to a boil. Once the sugar is completely dissolved, take the pot off the burner and let it cool. Put this in a bottle with a lid - preferably not an empty milk jug or Gatorade bottle - and stick it in the fridge. It keeps for weeks.

See, now you have a drink you can fix - the right way - and you can tell lies while you're making it and your friends will think you actually know what you're doing and talking about!
DONNIEP
Chairman of the Board

Postby DONNIEP » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:37 pm

Now we're gonna get to the good one - the Long Island Iced Tea. Now, if you're making these for you and that special somebody you just started dating, a word of caution: try to keep it to one or two drinks a piece or you're gonna be having brunch together the next day, lol.

Here are the ingredients:

One ounce each of vodka, gin, white rum, triple sec, and tequila
2 ounces of freshly squeezed lemon juice (again, don't use your hands, use a juicer thingy)
2 ounces of simple syrup (see - this stuff does come in handy!)
a splash of Coke

Mix all that together in a cocktail shaker with ice, shake and pour into a tall glass. You can garnish it with a lemon slice, if you're feeling all fancy. But honestly, what's the point? This is basically rocket fuel and the lemon will just get in the way. And this stuff really is rocket fuel - 5 ounces of booze in each glass makes for a memorable evening. Or an evening you'll want to forget. Or an evening you can't remember. It'll do something, lol.
DONNIEP
Chairman of the Board

Postby DONNIEP » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:38 pm

ZahZoo's Perfect Margarita Recipe

Ok, I pulled this one off the old board. All the credit goes to ZZ...

"I've never understood why so many bars can't make a decent Margarita to save their lives... I've literally walked crappy ones back to the bar and asked the bartender to taste it and allow me to tell them how to make a proper one. It's really a simple drink...

Basic Margarita:

1.5 oz of tequila (doesn't have to be a big name... but it does have to be 100% Blue Agave)
1 oz of Triple Sec
3 oz of off-the-shelf margarita mix or 2 oz fresh lime juice with 1 oz heavy sweet syrup

Mix in a shaker with ice... well shaken... pour over fresh ice with the rim salted.

For an even better one... substitute Gran Marnier instead of Triple Sec."
DONNIEP
Chairman of the Board

Postby Johann Shmidt » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:32 pm

I prefer a glass of Mogen David 20/20 after dinner.
Johann Shmidt
Headliner

Postby Zahzoo » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:44 am

From some friends of mine out in Key West...

Zahzoo
Minister of Mayhem

Postby DONNIEP » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:02 am

Finally! Somebody else posted something in this thread! And yes, ZZ's post beats the hell out of mine, lol.

I really liked that video. Now that's what cocktails are all about - enjoying a good time with friends. But...I don't think I'll be trying this recipe since I really, really don't like cucumbers, lol. But I bet my best friend's wife would love it. She's a margarita lover and she likes cucumber and spicy stuff. So this would probably be right up her alley.
DONNIEP
Chairman of the Board

Postby Zahzoo » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:04 pm

ANother installment from Boris...

Zahzoo
Minister of Mayhem

Next

Return to Great Food & Drinks